We’ve made it to the last Monthly Favourites post for 2016! I know I did a big round up of both my beauty and non-materialistic favourites for Blogmas last year (it’s crazy to think of it as ‘last year’) but there were a couple of beauty bits that missed the cut, plus so much in general happened last month. December was full of family, friends, parties, overeating, shopping, presents, musicals, Christmas and New Years! I also achieved a bunch of blogging goals that I’m really proud of, so they deserve a mention as well! I hope you like this post and if you do please give it a “like” so I know, and let’s crack on with it!
An appropriately festive eyeshadow palette I used all throughout December was the Limited Edition Too Faced Merry Macarons Eyeshadow Collection! I did a whole in depth review on it for Blogmas, so check that out if you’d like to know more or see swatches of every shade! Overall though I’m incredibly impressed with this palette and so happy I decided to buy it! The shades are so pigmented, unique and wearable. The packaging is, of course, 10/10 but even once all that jazz is taken away, the actual palette is really sturdy and compact, not minuscule and flimsy.
Like I seem to do every month without realising it, I again changed up my foundation routine in December. I started adding my Revlon Coiourstay foundation for Normal/Dry skin in with my Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous foundation that I featured in my November Favourites. The Covergirl one can look super dark at times, so the Revlon one adds more coverage and lightens up the Covergirl one. Revlon’s Colourstay range does not budge one bit when it’s on your skin, and throughout December we all had a bunch of events to go to, so it was a great choice as it stayed on all day – even in the Australian heat!
I got money back through Priceline’s Sisterhood rewards system so I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge! The hype is real with this one as I have been loving it ever since buying it! I am yet to try the real Beauty Blender but after using a handful of Chi Chi Cosmetics ones, which I found to absorb a lot of product, I find this one really good so far! It’s soft, puffs up really quickly under water, doesn’t absorb too much product, washes incredibly easily and blends my foundation like a freaking dream. I have nothing to say about this so far! I just wish it wasn’t $17 from Priceline as you can sometimes buy the Chi Chi Cosmetics ones for $5.
Sticking with Real Techniques, I have been loving using their Setting Brush for applying highlighter for the past few months! I used to use this to set my under eye concealer, but I find it to be a really nice highlighter brush as it’s petite enough to dust on the high points of your face but tightly packed enough to pick up a great amount of glow in one swipe.
Another brush I have been loving for months now is the Smashbox Contour Brush I got when I purchased the Smashbox Step By Step Contour Kit. I actually didn’t love it that much to use with the kit as it’s very soft and fanned out, so it felt awkward to “carve” my face out with. Over the past few months I’ve ended up perfecting it though! I do my initial contour with my Zoeva Face Shape brush, then I blend it out with this Smashbox one. I also now apply my bronzer with this brush and even dust on some banana powder using this as well. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to use one little brush for so much, but it has worked well so far!
A lip option I reached for so much throughout December for any festive oppourtunity was the (mini sample of the) NARS Velvet Lip Pencil in the shade Dolce Vita! I featured this way back when in my Perfect Valentine’s Day Lipstick post so if you’d like to see swatches, check that out! I really love this formula, it’s pigmented but so thin and natural looking on your lips, it almost changes your lip colour and looks like you’re wearing nothing. It’s such a good option if you want something subtle for a certain occasion or to balance out your eye makeup, or don’t want a thick, heavy liquid lipstick.
Now onto my non-beauty favourites! And boy, do we have a lot to get through!
As you know I did my first ever 12 Days of Blogmas in December where I blogged every second day. Something that featured in almost every shot was my Christmas props I got from Kmart! They, of course, had a copper theme running through their decorations so I picked up the mini baubles for about $3 and the trio of copper and gold plastic trees for $3 as well. The copper baubles aren’t pictured here as they’re on my tree! I’m so happy with how these turned out. They were exactly what I wanted and were such an easy way to make my flatlays look so festive!
In December we saw Matilda: The Musical after my mum surprised my sister and I with tickets! Every time the ad would come on TV I would say “man, that would be so good”, but I never expected her to buy tickets! It’s incredible and was one of the highlights of my year. I had no idea what to expect, but the talent, music and lyrics, acting, staging and special effects blew my mind. I highly recommend you see it if you’re interested! Thank you so much mumma!
I successfully baked something! Yes, it was a packet mix, but I was so pleased with how my Christmas Tree Brownies turned out for Blogmas! It’s inspired me to start baking way more, and like I mentioned in my Beauty + Life Goals 2017 post, I want to aim to bake one thing a month in 2017. So hopefully expect to see a few more baking posts from me!
I saw La La Land right before the year ended and oh my god it’s such a wonderful movie. It’s a musical, but it feels like a live action Disney film in the sense that they just flow in and out of singing and dancing. There are so many high energy numbers but others are so soft and beautiful and slow. It’s got an amazing story and it’s such a different movie, plus Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are the main stars and it’s been nominated for so many awards already – more than enough reasons to see it!
All throughout December I was obsessed with Christmas songs, and you can read about and listen to my top picks in my A Very Christmas Playlist post I did for Blogmas! Towards the end of the month I also loved the Matilda: The Musical soundtrack after seeing it and was so pleased to find the soundtrack on Apple Music.
In October I set myself a couple blogging goals to hit before the year ended because it’s always nice to work towards something, but I wasn’t going to beat myself up about it if life got in the way and I couldn’t achieve them. Well, I did! And I’m so proud! In December:
- My blog hit 200 followers! When I started blogging a year ago I was gaining about 25 followers a month and I was surprised it was going up so quickly! It slowed down entirely in the middle of the year however, even though I was still blogging multiple times a week. Well, my stats changed their tune once Blogmas rolled around and I had a flurry of new followers, as in one month I went from having 180 followers to now 232! Hello to all my new followers! I hope you’re enjoying your time on my site! Thank you very much for liking my stuff enough to hit “follow” to keep up with me!
- My blog turned one in December! I did a huge reflection post which you can read here, but I’m so happy to still have so much motivation and love for blogging a whole year on! Here’s to another fantastic year filled with reviews, comparisons, hauls, OOTD’s, monthly favourites, makeup picks and more! Thank you so much for all your support throughout 2016!
- I successfully completed my first ever 12 Days Of Blogmas! I was ultra organised and excited for Blogmas, but I worried I would somehow fall behind and my second day posting schedule would be thrown out of whack. It wasn’t, and I’m incredibly proud of myself for getting a great post up every time I needed to! After all that editing, writing, flat laying and publishing, I forced myself to chill out and take a break last week. I did however post my Beauty + Life Goals For 2017 to kick off the year, so you can read that if you’d like to know what I hope to achieve for the year ahead!
- I finally cracked into my Top Posts list! On the side of my blog you’ll see I have a widget which shows my Top Posts and for quite a few months that list stayed the same. I really wanted to get a post in there before the year ended and to my surprise my Affordable Gift Guide | Blogmas Day 4 skyrocketed into the third spot! It’s so hard to predict which post people will love most, but I’m so happy people enjoyed it so much! What I Got For Christmas also broke into the Top Posts and became my 8th most popular post! At first I wasn’t going to go ahead with that post, but people loving reading those (well, I love seeing what people got!) so I’m glad it was well received!
- I finished the year with December being my most popular month of the year! In October I really wanted either November or December to be my best month because it’s always nice to end on a high, and since I pumped out so many posts in December my stats jumped! This was a goal that felt sort of out of my control, but I’m so happy it happened!
So, that’s everything I loved in the month of December! If you enjoyed this post please give it a “like” so I know!
What did you love in December? Leave me a comment below so we can chat!
All the love,