Writer’s block is frustrating, and it’s even more confusing when you’re looking at a giant list of ideas you’ve written down to help spark some inspiration, and nothing’s jumping out at you. I have lists written down on notes in my phones, scribbled inside notebooks and mapped out in my planner, yet I’m still stuck for ideas. Today I want to do something new with my blog and write my first real opinion piece or reflection, and maybe give a little advice.
I was looking at my blog layout the other day looking for inspiration when I realised my tagline is “fashion, beauty, thoughts”. When I started this blog back in December I had heaps of beauty related things I wanted to talk about, so the fashion side of my mind got a tad neglected, and the thoughts side got paid no attention whatsoever.
Over the past few weeks I’ve been stuck in a weird mind frame about my blog. I define it as weird because part of me feels stuck for ideas for each week, which makes me feel uninspired, but I also have a giant list of ideas and blog posts I want to do in the future that I’m really excited about, I just don’t want to do them now. For instance, I really want to post something similar to my Summer Style Staples blog post all about Autumn pieces, but it still feels like Summer where I am, so it doesn’t seem like the best time to do that post, and I don’t want to waste it by doing it early just to fill in a particularly uninspired week. I’m calling it “short-term” writer’s block because while I have some great ideas scattered throughout the month planned for later, it’s just every now and then I’m stuck for an idea to write about right here, right now.
Another part of me feels like since my beauty posts are always popular (I base this off the number of WordPress likes from other users for each post, not views or Instagram likes), than I should just stick to beauty posts, because that’s what gets a better reaction. That frame of thinking has made me back myself into a corner where I feel like any other post that isn’t about eyeshadows will be a flop, when I know it will be fine.
While I haven’t fully gotten out of my rut, I thought I would share some of my tips for anyone else who’s been feeling like they’re lacking in the creative ideas area lately. These tips are aimed at blogging, but can be applied to other things!
- Write down all the ideas you can think of in a list, and start writing down anything associated with those ideas next to them. If you start picking apart an idea, it might spark something else and get you excited in some way. An example of this is an Autumn Makeup Picks blog post I want to do soon when it’s cooler, and I wrote down the products I know right now that I want to mention, and some ideas for when I take photos of them. While that idea isn’t fully developed, I feel really motivated to do it when the time comes.
- Write that idea out, even if you think it’s rubbish! This can be applied to anything, from blog posts to short stories to poems, just because you’re attempting it doesn’t mean you ever have to publish it. I took photos for a blog post last night and they looked ridiculous because it was too dark, but at least I attempted it instead of just never giving it a chance.
- Never feel pressured to post your ideas if you’re just not happy with them. Don’t let your blog or project or essay or assignment take control of you and make you feel like you need to write something this way or that.
- I think the best and more effective way to get out of a rut is to spice things up and write about what you actually feel like writing about! In my case, I was stuck for ideas because the ones I wanted to do I thought others wouldn’t enjoy as much. That adivce sounds obvious, but an example of that is this very post! I kept thinking I should post a beauty post last night, which I didn’t want to do, and sat on that idea for so long I didn’t end up posting anything, and that was annoying for me. This morning I really wanted to write about how I felt, so that’s what I’m doing and already I feel better about everything.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself! This point is more for myself than any others. Life got in the way yesterday and I ended up running out of time to produce a whole new post to a standard I was happy with, and I was so annoyed, but I just need to relax and keep my blog positive instead of worrying about content and strict scheduling times.
I just want to point out, while I say I’ve been feeling uninspired, all the posts I’ve ever published have gone up because I was 100% happy with them and wanted to share them with you, not because I just needed to post something. I’m just in a weird mood where all my future ideas look more exciting than my current ones, if that makes sense. Also, every beauty post I put up, and have put up in the past, hasn’t gone up because I feel like it needs to, but because I genuinely love that product or have something to say about it!
So I think I’ve said it all in regard to feeling a little flat lately! I have so many ideas for April that I can’t wait to share with you and there’s also going to be a special Easter related post going up soon, so look out for that as well! Give this post a “like” if you enjoyed my little reflection on life, and feel free to leave me a comment below and we can chat!
All the love and thank you very much for reading,